Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pan de Manila's Pan de Sal

Manila

Pan de Manila SM Center Las Pinas Branch

My first encounter with Pan de Manila was at SM Southmall in Las Piñas City years ago. I was amused by the bakeshop’s interior that is patterned from an old Spanish structure. The walls are adorned with bricks and their shelves are being supported by decorative iron brackets. They also have this accent tiles used on their flooring similar to that of the Mallorca tiles.

Decorative iron bracket that supports the shelf

All their breads are baked in an old-style brick oven or pugon. The pugon reminds me of our neighbor’s bakeshop back in the province more than a decade ago. It was managed by an old couple, who, on one occasion, gave us the permission to peek inside their working area. Their pugon is shaped like a small hot air balloon and painted in white. But just before I left my hometown in late 1999, the bakeshop had closed down and never went back to its operation again.   

Brick oven or Pugon

What I like about Pan de Manila is that their breads don’t have preservatives and they always offer freshly baked breads on the shelves. They offer variety of breads too including an old time favorite ensaymada. That bread slathered with margarine on top and then sprinkled with white sugar.  

Ensaymada


I first sampled their pan de sal or Salt Bread and fell in love with it right away. It is soft and not too sweet. It does not harden immediately when left uncovered. Whenever I pass by Pan de Manila, I see to it that I must bring home pan de sal. To me, it is best served when still warm together with hot coffee, with or without the filling.


Pan de Sal or Salt Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment